On 2020-02-23 15:39 +0100, Tadeus Prastowo via lfs-dev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Quoting
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/glibc.html
>
> You may see some test failures. The Glibc test suite is somewhat
> dependent on the host system. This is a list of the most common issues
> seen for some versions of LFS:
>
> End quote.
>
> To that list, I would like to propose the inclusion of the following
> failed tests:
>     XPASS: elf/tst-protected1a
>     XPASS: elf/tst-protected1b
> The explanation to be included in the book is as follows:
>
> The tests elf/tst-protected1a and elf/tst-protected1b are known to
> fail with XPASS, which is a failure due to a successful test that is
> indeed expected to fail.  The failures of elf/tst-protected1a and
> elf/tst-protected1b with XPASS is indeed a good thing because they
> have been expected to fail only with old versions of GCC and binutils
> (for the details, see
> https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2015-08/msg01210.html for the
> background and https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2015-09/msg00125.html
> for the conclusion).
>
> Thank you for considering my proposal.

We don't consider XPASS a failure.  There are many XPASS in LFS packages (>20 in
total, I think) and it does not make sense to document them one by one.

I'd never seen a XPASS which is a "bad thing".  Once a grep maintainer believed
"XPASS is bad" so he made the entire test suite to FAIL if there was any XPASS.
Then after a Glibc upgrading, a XPASS in grep forced us to use "-k" for grep
"make check".  It's stupid IMO - a test suite should not be a fragile "status
change detector".

We can add a discussion about the meaning of PASS/FAIL/XPASS/XFAIL in "4.6 About
the Test Suites", though.
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry...@mengyan1223.wang>