S. Anthony Sequeira wrote:

Step 4 (cd $LFS/tools) is unnecessary and has no bearing
on the link creation.  You could be in *any* directory when it is
executed.

In effect the command states.

Take the last element of the first parameter and use it as the name for
the symlink in the second parameter.  Nowhere in there is a reference to
the current directory directly or indirectly.

Does this help? I'm no teacher, so I may bow out gracefully now and let
someone else take over.

Thank you very much. You have pointed out something in the ln man page that I have missed. I reread it and now see the solution.

BTW, don't disparage your teaching abilties. You got your message through the thick scull on this end.

Thanks again.

Dan