I am having trouble getting SASL and PAM to play nicely together (I’m using postfix as my MTA).

When I run cyrus-sasl’s saslauthd in debug mode, and then telnet to the smtp port on my pox, I see the correct authentication mechanisms being offered, which include plain.

But when I do an AUTH PLAIN with my base64 encoded credentials, pam refuses to authenticate. The saslauthd debug trace shows that it correctly received the credentials, but these were rejected by pam.

I’m thinking that I’m missing a pam config file for this setup. There is reference to such a file in a great howto I found on www.postfix.org dealing with sasl and postfix, but the BLFS installation makes no mention of such a file.

Thanx in advance for any help!

- Mark