On 1/20/06, Michiel Faber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I dont agree, i had to make the directory asm first too... It depends
> >> on your host version of "mkdir".
> >
> > No you don't have to create any directories first.
>
> But i wrote an email about it.
> http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2005-August/027981.html
>
> that is the same problem i guess.

I really don't see how this is possible unless you already have the
directory /tools/include/asm on your system.  You wouldn't have that
directory if you were starting in a clean space for Ch. 5.  Neither
gcc-pass1 or binutils-pass1 would install this directory.

This is how cp works.  Since DEST (/tools/include/asm) doesn't exist,
SOURCE (/sources/linux-libc-headers-2.6.12.0/include/asm-i386) is
copied as DEST.  It would only become a subdirectory of
/tools/include/asm if DEST existed as a DIRECTORY.  If this is not the
situation on ubuntu, then that's f*scked up.

Care to try a sanity test?  Start in an empty directory and try the
following commands.

$ mkdir foo
$ touch foo/bar
$ cp -Rv foo bar
`foo' -> `bar'
`foo/bar' -> `bar/bar'
$ ls -R bar
bar:
bar

If cp is really doing what you say it is, then you'll end up with
bar/foo/bar instead of bar/bar.

--
Dan