Well, I don't see a clfs-support list, and I don't feel confident enough to
comment on the book contents, so I'll crow here instead. Let me know if
there's a more appropriate place for these discussions.

Just finished my 64-bit build on my Dual Opteron! I followed the pure-64 build
plan from the 32-bit system that's currently on this box into a spare
partition. To reduce agro, I skipped over the grub stuff, just copied the
kernel to my existing /boot directory, updated grub's menu with the new
kernel and new root and it came up fine.

This is primarily for practice/learning until I've an idea how I want my
64-bit desktop to run. Then I plan to use this test-bed as host for building
my main desktop over the partitions that currently hold my 32-bit system.

I am hoping I can skip all the cross-compile stuff, but use the lessons
learned from CLFS to build the 64-bit system from a 64-bit host.

Thanks again for your exceptional effort and pain-staking work creating these
great documents to guide us in a deeper understanding of Linux.

Now I'm going to try building X.org and installing nVidia's drivers. Should be
quite interesting in a pure-64 environment, since I understand they both
expect 32-bit libs in /lib and 64-bit libs in /lib64.

Cheers,

        John Gay