Hi,
Linux From Scratch book v. 6.1.1, chapter 5.32.1, p. 72
I am booting from and using the sources from the LFS live CD (lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3.iso)

I've gotten almost all the way through ch. 6 and have run into a problem, -- I think it has something to do with my inexperience or not fully understanding the chroot environment. the problem occurs in 6.61 "Stripping Again" and in 6.62 "Cleaning Up" (pages 190-191 of Linux From Scratch book 6.1.1.

1) Exited from chroot by issuing:

logout

2) Reentered with:

chroot $LFS  /tools/bin/env -i  \
        HOME=/root  TERM=$TERM  PS1='\u:\w\$ '  \
        PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin  \
        /tools/bin/bash  --login

3) With (2) above, I encountered the first problem - I received a message that
/tools/bin/env does not exist.  So I checked the $LFS variable with:

echo $LFS

It was no longer set, so I reset it with:

export LFS =/mnt/lfs

checked it with:

echo $LFS

and received: /mnt/lfs

After that, step (2) above worked fine.

4) On to part 6.62 "Cleaning Up." I exited and reentered the the chroot
environment using the modified command specified in the book (p.191):

chroot $LFS  /usr/bin/env -i  \
        HOME=/root  TERM="$TERM"  PS1='\u:\w\$ '  \
        PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin  \
        /bin/bash  --login

This time, I received another "not found" error for /usr/bin/env. So I checked /mnt/lfs/usr/bin and, of course, discovered that env was missing. (It is, however, in /usr/bin/, but not in /mnt/lfs/usr/bin). As mentioned, I am booting from and using the
source files from the lfslivecd-x86-6.1.1-3.iso.

5) What to do? I am concerned that I may have installed all the programs from the wrong environment. This is just a guess, as I am really new to this. I would hate to
turn back now.  Is there anything I can do?

Also - thanks for the help in my first problem at the end of ch. 5 regarding the
missing perl and pod2man files.

Klaus Sinfelt