Vladimir Marcu wrote:

>I seem to get stuck at the section 5.3.1 of the book, during the "make
>install" of binutils. I am trying to build the LFS system using the LFS
>Live
>CD as a host. This is the output from "make install":
[...]
>mkdir -p -- /tools /tools
>
>mkdir: cannot create directory '/tools': Permission denied

Did you create the symlink in Chapter 4.2. Creating the $LFS/tools
Directory?

I realized that I didn't create it properly when I used the "long" steps to
resume the build after shutting down the system. I had typed "ln -sv
$LFS/tools" instead of "ln -sv $LFS/tools /"

Try " ls -l /tools " and you should get something like:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 15 Oct  3 19:55 /tools -> /mnt/lfs/tools/
If you don't, that's your problem!

>The way I got around this was to change the configuration command switch
>--prefix=/tools (as it is specified in the book) to --prefix=$LFS/tools.

Bad idea!  Like that probably everything will go fine until the end of Ch 5,
and then as soon as you enter the chroot in Ch 6, nothing will work anymore
because in the chroot your $LFS/tools has become just /tools and $LFS/tools
doesn't exist anymore but you will have that path hard-coded into all your
programs!

Indeed you are right. I discovered this the hard way. I'll start over.
Thanks for your help!

Brandon.