On 10/5/06, Arnie Stender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If you have at least that much, go over the "desktop-file-utils-0.11" in
> the blfs development book. Ensure you have your env variables...
>> XDG_DATA_DIRS
>> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS

Hi Shawn,
        Yes I have menus. The applications menu has sub-menus of games,
internet and system tools. Those menus don't have all the applications
that have been built and installed on the system though. I looked at the
 variables and where they are pointing. The XDG_CONFIG_DIRS points to
/etc/gnome/xdg. In that directory there is a menus directory which
contains what looks like XML files with a '.menu' extension that "look"
like they are building the menu on the fly. If that is accurate some of
the lines point to wrong directories. Am I close in thinking this? Does
your XDG_CONFIG_DIRS variable point to the /etc/gnome/xdg or the menus
directory in it (or somewhere else)?

I'm guessing that not everything is installed in
/usr/share/applications, correct? I think the search path is set by
XDG_DATA_DIRS. See here:

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/desktop-file-utils.html

It's been a while since I haggled with these kinds of issues. One
thing is, if you build an application, it has to provide a .desktop
file to be associated with the menus. It should be
$prefix/share/applications/app.desktop.

Next, the command `update-desktop-database' can help because there's a
cache in these share/applications directories that can be rebuilt. I
think the cache mainly just holds MIME association info, though, so it
doesn't necessarily update the menu for you.

The unfortunate part. I believe the GNOME session (possibly through
gnome-vfs) needs some sort of file alteration method in order to
update the menus on the fly. This is usually through inotify or
gamin/fam. I'm not sure exactly which utility controls this,
unfortunately. Otherwise, you have to log out of the session and back
in to see the changes in the menus. Maybe there's another way to force
the update, but I've never figured it out.

Lastly, if you really want to tweak the menus manually, there are a
couple apps. Now I'm forgetting the one you can get to through the
panel. The really sweet one is alacarte.

http://www.realistanew.com/projects/alacarte
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/alacarte/

Hope that helps.

--