On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 11:04:15AM -0700, Richard Caldwell wrote:

> Hi Ken,  I got around it wiht the fix suggested by Dan N. using $(xxx)
> instead.
> It's weird, the character above tab is ' and shifts to ~ . I didn't get any
> opportunity to
> select keyboard or locale on boot. On my keyboard when I depress 2 I get @
> and when I depress [SHIFT] + @ I get ", also # replaces £ as you suggest.
> How do you check your keyboard/locale configuration and change it? Next time
> I reboot
> I'll try a differenet keyboard as a matter of interest.
> Thanks

 Hi Richard,

 you'll recall that I said (I hope) that I don't use the Live CD, so
I've no idea how to configure it.

 I've no idea how to check which keyboard is selected, but the locale
is in 'printev' - often only LC_ALL is used.  I used to have a
genuine US keyboard from my first PC (I think that was one of hte
reasons it was so cheap), which moved to my first LFS machine as I
upgraded, so I was semi-familiar with the layout even before I got
my G5 mac with usb.

 In my experience, people occasionally key ' when they should key `,
but your problem sounds unusual.  Best of luck with the reboot.

ĸen