I  upgraded my  LFS 6.1.1  from  2.6.23 to  2.6.24 and  now all  8-bit
characters appear  as a reverse-video  question mark in  the terminal.
At  least this  is true  for  the pound  sign in  emacs, and  accented
characters in mutt.  If I run emacs in xterm the pound signs are OK.

The local  Linux Users Group suggested  running "unicode_start", which
changed the font but otherwise didn't help, and running:

    kbd_mode -u
    echo -n -e '\033%G'
    setfont latarcyrheb-sun16

...which also  didn't help  and complained it  couldn't find  the font
latarcyrheb-sun16 .

I didn't  touch anything  outside /boot when  I upgraded.  Ages  ago I
customised    /etc/sysconfig/console    to    set   KEYMAP="uk"    and
FONT="lat1-14" , but that's the only change.

Any ideas?

Jeremy Henty