On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 20:29 -0600, al...@verizon.net wrote:
> Speaking of USB, I do have my own slide off topic.
> I've been wondering why people still prefer/use _internal_
> opticals when USB, modern, versatile, sophisticated
> (like Blu-Ray) drives are so convenient, easy to share
> (especially with expensive burners), and easy to replace
> when, the next day after you got one, there's a new
> cheaper and better model hitting the market.
> Let alone mitigating the power woes of the machine.
> True, some are not dirt cheap yet.

Because an external DVD writer costs on average three times what an
internal one does, and offers roughly half the read and write speeds. It
also adds clutter to my desk, and adds to the mess of cabling down the
back of the desk, not to mention the inevitable bulky AC/DC adapter
taking up several wall sockets.

Simon.