On 2/8/10, Andrew Benton <b3n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/02/10 15:04, Ken Moffat wrote:

> Indeed. I was wrong. They do work with libata. They were older machines
> that were working fine so I avoided the headache of altering their
> kernel configs. My first couple of attempts at getting libata to work
> ended with kernel panics. Not because of the kernel config, but because
> I forgot to change the grub boot line to /dev/sda (DOH!).
> So yeah, libata works fine. Sorry for the noise. Libata works better
> with udev. I don't need custom udev rules for each machine, the default
> udev rules creates the cdrom symlink pointing at /dev/sr0 which is owned
> by group cdrom.

I have both and udev works ok with everything.
CONFIG_IDE=y
CONFIG_ATA=y

This is an old system that has IDE cdroms/dvds and an IDE disk which
work fine as hdx. It also has SATA controller cards with some disks
that work fine as sdx.
The sata controllers were selected as
CONFIG_SATA_SIL24=y
CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE=y