>On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 05:22:24 -0800
>"Kyle Rush" <k...@cyber-rush.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, February 12, 2010 5:15 am, Andrew Benton wrote:
> > On 12/02/10 12:14, Kyle Rush wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a livecd 6.3 and book 6.3. the computer I am installing it
> >> on is somewhat old, and thus 1 SBU = about one hour. I can't
> >> figure out how to shut down the machine without losing everything
> >> i was working on.
> >
> > If you've made a partition on your hard drive to work on then when
> > you unmount it
> >   all that you've compiled will be saved there.
> > The problem is when you resume work you need to make sure things
> > are set up properly.
> > In chapter 5 that just means su - lfs but in chapter 6 you need to
> > make sure that
> > you've mounted /proc, /sys and /dev
> >
> that's the problem. I'm in chap.5 and su - lfs doesn't work. says
> error:user does not exist.
>
> I have set up the user lfs as instructed.

Have you set it up after resuming?

As I have understood it, you booted the livecd, made the preparations,
built, stoped, rebooted (or whatev) and now you can't resume.

It's simple - the root filesystem of the livecd lives in RAM and goes
away with the power. What's on the HDD (/mnt/lfs) does not, ofcourse.

So, when you boot the livecd, make a new user and build, then all that
happens above /mnt/lfs is volatile.
Upon rebooting, you just have to redo ALL the enviroment setting-up.

Mike and others have already explained the details. The scripts they
mention should be put somewhere under /mnt/lfs, so that they themselves
are not in volatile memmory. Upon rebooting, run them.

But make sure you do it properly - if your script is like this:

# Begin my_script.sh
export LFS=/mnt/lfs
export FOO="blabla"

Then simle `bash my_script.sh' won't help becouse the bash you just
ordered will fork a totally new process which will run my_script.sh, set
its own enviroment and then die. You should do: `source my_script.sh'.