> After you get to this stoppage, try doing a paste of just these
> instructions back with modifications.  To do that, you need to paste
> into vim and add backslashes to each line, change what you want (delete
> -fstack-protector) and see if you can get that one file
> (build/nscd/nscd.o) to build.

Oh, can I use nano, please!  ;-)  OK, I did that. It paused about one
second, then returned a command prompt.  No console messages at all.
Ummm, waita minute!  (I don't compile anything unless I'm installing
a package--I finished being a programmer over 25 years ago.)  I guess
that means it worked, eh?  So now go back to my build script and
pick it up again with make and see if it will complete?  Meaning
my glibc will have this one stack busting flaw forever?
--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm