On Tuesday 08 June 2010 18:57:21 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
> > # cd LFS/6.3
> > # rm -rf build
> >
> > and deleted /dev from my host system! No discs, no printers, no
> > terminals, etc. I rebooted with a Knoppix disc, let it populate
> > /dev, and then mounted my hard drive, and copied (yes copied
> > using cp) /dev onto my hard drive.
>
> I don't think that would not be the case today since udev mounts a
> tempfs on top of /dev and populates it upon boot.  See 6.2.2. Mounting
> and Populating /dev.  At one time, what you did would have been needed.

But later, Mike says his system does not have udev.

If Mike had known the 'basic' /dev entries needed, he probably could have used
mknod to create them. He could have booted some Linux in a virtual system,
archived /dev, copied it to the system he crippled and unarchived it.

To quote an old SF TV show, "Many such journeys are possible." :) :)