On Sunday 20 June 2010 11:11:01 Paul Rogers wrote:
> Having just installed LFS-6.6 with kernel-2.6.32.7, I thought I'd
> look into patching it to the current patch level.  OTOH, I'm on a
> 40Kbps dialup line and a 10MB patch-2.6.33 is big enough to: a)
> give me pause before attempting a few hours of downloading, b)
> suggest that there's some significant new features.  Patch...34
> is about the same size.  IIRC the Changelog-2.6.33 is nearly that
> big, making it perhaps most of the patch file, but it's full of
> sign-offs and not a particular good place to find out what's new.
>
> Is there someplace where someone writes about "what's new" in
> kernel patches?  New and removed features, considerations about
> implementation, etc.?  Someplace where we can see what's in it,
> whether it "has anything for us or not"?

http://www.kernel.org/ (look at the changelogs)

For more civilized notes, try LWN.net. http://lwn.net/Kernel/

If you subscribe to http://lwn.net/headlines/rss, you'll receive cogent
notices of all kernel updates, as well as many other things Linux; I think
this feed averages 6-8 notices per day.

To go back in time, you can go to http://lwn.net/Archives/ and go back two or
three weeks (the most recent week or two being reserved for subscribers),
click 'Kernel' for the week, scroll near the bottom to 'kernel tree' and
you'll find the cogent summaries. Getting the daily RSS feeds lets you avoid
this rigamarole going forward.

Not necessarily for the faint of heart, but these notes *will* keep you
informed.

FWIW, KDE's Akregator works very nicely with LWN's feed and keeps all previous
notes until I delete them.