At least I think I can't go any further.

The last thing I tried to do before I needed to modify my router
settings was the ping tests that Bruce laid out.

I could ping 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.2 successfully. But when I pinged
192.168.1.1, my router, I got no return and the message that all packets
were lost. The amazing thing was the source of the message was
192.168.1.100 which is the lowest address the router's dhcp server
issues to another device.

In the midst of all this, in shuffling papers, looking at notes and
throwing stuff away, I discovered that three pages of my router book had
stuck together. There was a procedure for setting up "static routing"
that I hadn't seen before. Here's the info I had to enter and what I
entered:

Name <my localhost name>
Destination LAN IP 192.168.1.2 (that's the address I assigned in
ifconfigwlan0/ipv4)
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (if I understood what Bruce and Neal wrote)
Default Gateway 192.168.1.2 (that's me again)
Interface "LAN & Wireless" (this was from a drop down box)

When it came time to save the configuration, I got the message "May be
the default route already exists" with a "Continue" button. This took me
right back to the parameters page where I entered the other stuff. Then
I realized that this laptop is connected to the router already using the
same card I want to configure in my new LFS. I thought I could deviate
from my standard procedure which is to work in chroot with the new build
as far as getting to running lynx and wget. But it looks like I still
have to do that. dhcp --->wget --->Lynx.

But then the link from Neal just arrived. So, who knows. Along with
rebuilding the kernel to get all the drivers inside the kernel, this is
my intended direction unless someone can point me in another one.

Bruce. Neal. Let me jump on the bandwagon and thank you for the
information you shared today. I've got a long way to go in my knowledge,
but at least, I'm starting to know what questions to ask. I am grateful.

Dan