> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 11:20:56 -0400
> From: Neal Murphy <neal.p.mur...@alum.wpi.edu>
> Subject: Re: project on distro
> To: LFS Support List <lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
> Bavithra,
>
> Glossing over many details, the many tasks involved in 'rolling yor own'
> include:
>   - Deciding which functionality you want your distro to provide (such as
>     print media publishing, A/V media preparation and presentation,
>     Web/Email/IM distro for 'computer illiterates').
>   - Choosing the default locale (language, timezone) for your distro.
>   - Choosing a suitable name for your distro.
>   - Creating some artwork that uniquely identifies your distro.
>   - Choosing a means of managing add-on software packages (automatic or
>     manual) if you want one. Making users download and build any add-ons
>     they want is valid, too.
>   - Building LFS, boot LFS, then build it on itself.
>   - Including additional software packages to achieve your chosen
>     functionality.
>   - Packaging it onto an installable CD/DVD.
>   - Applying your graphics to the CD/DVD label and jevel box or envelope.
>   - Writing clear, simple, lucid prose (up to three paragraphs)
>     that states why your distro is the best.
>   - Writing a press release and emailing it to news media outlets of your
>     choosing.
>   - Selling copies of the CD/DVD on ebay.

Dear Sir,

First of all thanks for such a elaborate reply, it was very useful.
I am in process of creating a Linux based minimalistic Distro, which will be
used for Bioinformatics work.
The idea is to have a Distro which can run on old hardware, as most of Indian
university's Bioinfo Depts. have old hardware.
Additionally I plan to optimize the Kernel, Schedulers etc. to achieve the
required optimization in terms of speed with which the
programs are executed.
The X-windows(Gnome/KDE), I am thinking of some thing on the lines of TWM.
Have already built many variants with the Debian Live project. I started with
guidance from two Debian developers,
who have been extremely helpful.
One thing I definitely plan to include is the Debian package management, as the
Debian-med repository is the most comprehensive
one for Bioinfo related software(>500).
Presently attending classes on Advance Operating Systems, as being from a
Biology background, I don't have the required basics.
Bio-Linux 6 is a similar kind of effort, but its basically Ubuntu 10.04 with
lots of Bioinfo software, I want to go a step ahead.
It would be very helpful, if I could get some suggestions.

PS- I have already started with LFS 6.6.

Thanking you,
Prakhar Gaur