On Sunday 22 August 2010 09:20:29 Mike Johnston wrote:
> Thank you.
> That would work however, I want to make 30 instances for 30 machines.  I
> need to generate the 70-persistent-net.rules file so each machine has fixed
> interface names. What I don't understand is that if its a symlink on
> read/write partition it consistently keeps adding to the file.  If it's not
> a symlink but a real file, it doesn't regenerate and stays a fixed size.
> How does it know this?

Are you saying that the *only* difference in your two scenarios is that
70-persistent-net.rules is a symlink in one and a real file in the other?
That there is absolutely no other difference in the content of the two files?
You may have to delve into the udevd source code to find the answer.

You might try to configure udevd to use your RW partition directly and
make /etc/udev a convenience symlink to the (now-correct) location.

FWIW, it took me 2-3 months last year to integrate udev into Smoothwall. And
only a couple weeks ago I found that my 70.persistent-net.rules wasn't right.
It was days more before my install script *finally* generated the correct
syntax. Udev now correctly renames my NICs as specified, keeps them that way,
and does not add extraneous entries to the net rules file. I chalk this up to
udev having less-than-crystal-clear documentation.

Be certain your generated rules are absolutely identical in syntax to the
rules that udevd generates. Any deviation, and udevd will silently puke out
its own rules.