On 11/02/10 07:21, Jannis Kafkoulas wrote:

Off topic for this list....but see below.
> Hi,
>
> well it's not exactly a lfs issue but a similar one in his structure.
>
> I have a RedHat EL 5.5 installed on a HP Proliant DL 360 server.
> I actually need the 5.0 version but it's missing (at least) the NIC driver
> which is offered by HP as a rpm source.
> In any case I can't install the 5.0 system at all from the original CD.
>
> My problem now is, how do I build the driver on the 5.5 system for the 5.0
> system and include it in a 5.0 install CD?
>

> I already have built a lfs a few months ago and also have heard about cross
> compiling.
>
> My question now is, do I need to build a new 5.0 system on my 5.5 system in
> the manner of the lfs project or is it enough to just build a cross compiler
> and then compile the driver source with this cross compiler.

Compiling for an older distro is not cross compiling.  Cross compiling
for instance is using an i686 computer to compile for an x86_64, or
using a i686 to compile for a powerpc.

> As I know the driver names ends up in .ko.
> Which files do I need additionally for the driver to work in the 5.0 system,
> like headers and alike?
>
> Any hints?

I would install a fresh 5.0 install and use rpm-build to build that
package, put the resulting rpm on a usb thumb drive.

Have a look here: http://linux.die.net/man/8/rpmbuild