Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 06:21:14PM -0600, amalafrida wrote:
>> make yields the following message ... should I be concerned?
>>
>> ../../gcc-4.5.1/gcc/tree.h:5459: error: 'LANG_TYPE' undeclared (first
>> use in this function)
>> ../../gcc-4.5.1/gcc/tree.h:5459: warning: comparison is always true due
>> to limited range of data type
>> make[2]: *** [build/gencondmd.o] Error 1
>> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
>> make[1]: *** [all-gcc] Error 2
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build'
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>  Yes, of course you should be concerned, the build has failed.  You
> cannot ignore *errors* in building or installing (although you
> should ignore warnings, and may sometimes need to accept that tests
> fail).
>
>  Taking a wild guess, did you remove any existing gcc-4.5.1
> directory, freshly extract gcc (and then gmp etc within it), and use a
> fresh (empty) gcc-build directory ?  If you didn't, that's the likely
> cause of this: you need fresh source (and an empty build directory for
> the packages that specify those).
>
>  If not that, I've no idea - I suspect it gets defined in a
> generated header within gcc, but I don't know where or how.  It's
> certainly not from a system header, and I can't see it in the source
> (although there is a lot of noise from LANG_TYPE_.*_CHECK in my
> matches).  Unfortunately, google has gone dumb on me, and thinks
> that "LANG_TYPE" (even with double quotes) can be matched by lang_type
> so I've no idea how this problem has arisen (and I don't recall it
> being mentioned on this list).
>
> ĸen

Merde ... no luck.

- wiped all the directories clean ... tools/ & sources/
- fresh extract of binutils from within /mnt/lfs/sources/
- moved into newly-created binutils-2.20.1  directory
- $mkdir ../binutils-build
- $cd ../binutils-build

prepared for compilation
- $../binutils-2.20.1/configure \
     --target=$LFS_TGT --prefix=/tools \
     --disable-nls --disable-werror

- $make
  ...... yields the following error messages:
WARNING: `makeinfo' is missing on your system.  You should only need it if
          you modified a `.texi' or `.texinfo' file, or any other file
          indirectly affecting the aspect of the manual.  The spurious
          call might also be the consequence of using a buggy `make' (AIX,
          DU, IRIX).  You might want to install the `Texinfo' package or
          the `GNU make' package.  Grab either from any GNU archive site.
make[3]: *** [bfd.info] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd/doc'
Making info in po
make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd/po'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd/po'
make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `info-am'.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
make[2]: *** [info-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build/bfd'
make[1]: *** [all-bfd] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/binutils-build'
make: *** [all] Error 2