Simon Geard wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 13:17 +1200, Simon Geard wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 07:25 +0800, xinglp wrote:
>>> On my X86_64 lfs (SVN-20110427)  system .
>>> "/dev/disk/by-label/xxx" has not turnd up when "mountfs" started , so
>>> I can't use "LABEL=xxxx" in fstab .
>>> On 32bits system , this works well.
>> Maybe related, I've noticed problems with a 32-bit system using the same
>> build, where partitions aren't always appearing in time for boot scripts
>> to use them. For example, on one bootup, swapon failed because /dev/sda3
>> (my swap partition) didn't exist at the time. On another, /home didn't
>> get mounted, presumably for similar reason.
>>
>> Anyone else noticed this kind of thing on SVN-20110427 (or thereabouts)?
>
> Just tried again on a clean build, same thing is happening. Looking at
> console output, there's a lot of stuff coming from drivers registering
> hardware, even after the udev step has OKed and subsequent steps (like
> mounting swap) have run.
>
> I'd have expected 'udevadm settle' to block while this stuff's still
> happening - is that not the case, maybe with 168?

It's not a good option, but perhaps a sleep( 2 ) before or after after
'/sbin/udevadm settle' in the udev script would isolate the problem.

Do you have a lot of kernel modules or a lot of drivers built in?  That
may or may not be an issue.

It sounds like a race condition between udev and the scripts.

   -- Bruce