lanas wrote:
> OK.  I already have a nicely-equipped Fedora 32-bit virtual machine in

That was going to be my suggestion. Not Fedora, abut a 32 bit virtual.

> which I alreay built several LFS some time ago (2 years), so I'll keep
> at it then.  I was kind of hoping for a 'instant recipe' that did not
> involve cross-compiling although by now it seems that indeed, compiling
> 32-bit binaries using a 64-bit host is a cross compile in the same
> rights as compiling ppc binaries using a x86_64 system.  Both are cross
> compiles, no 'instant recipe' to be found for the former.

A 64 bit machine which is 32 bit capable, is a completely
different machine in 32 bit mode than it is in 64 bit mode.

I recall back in the bad old days when I had a little
S-100 bus machine with a processors which had two modes
of operation for the same chip. It could run as an 8085
look alike, or as an 8088 look alike. I ran it as an
8085 with CP/M.

For purposes of compiling, etc. the two modes were effectively
entirely different computers. The fact that they share silicon
is irrelevant. 64 bit mode and 32 bit mode are separate
machines from the standpoint of software builds.

Mac
You have found the bank of Larn.