Tony Hartzell wrote:
> VFS: Cannot open root device "hda2" or unknown-block(2,0)
> Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> partitions:
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(2,0)

Usually a result of a missing driver in the file system hierarchy.
Make sure you have the necessary drivers built into the kernel
and not as modules. You'll need

        your file system driver (ext, reiser, whatever)
        your bus interface driver (PCI bridge, usually)
        "standard" ATA interface driver
        your hard disc controller driver (chip specific)

A way to get some of that information about the hardware is to
boot to your development system and use lspci to show what you've
got. You can also query the actually used modules with lsmod and
find out what actually got used by the kernel. "Real men" open
up the case, locate the driver chips on the MB, and figure it
out that way. :-)

> I think my problem is that /dev isn't being populated. During the build,

You are not getting that far in the boot.

This is a common problem with first builds, don't be disheartened.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.