On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 13:48:38 -0500
Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see you tried the shadow mailing list.  I hope you get an answer, but
> the list seems to have a lot of spam, so I'm not sure how much it is
> actually read.

That was my impression too, which is why I didn't subscribe

> Did you see
> https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=312375&group_id=30580&atid=411478
>
> That was from 18 months ago.  The 4.1.4.3 news says there was a small
> change in Feb 2011, but the change before that was July 2009.

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it, it led me to this
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=312374

It talks about "the setting of user limits from the /etc/limits file is
fundamentally broken" which seems similar to the issue I'm seeing,
however it doesn't deal with the case where PAM is used. The patch
attached there still applies to shadow-4.1.4.3. It compiles but sadly
doesn't fix the problem. Thanks for looking at this.

Andy