On Sun, 2011-11-13 at 01:26 +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 22:53:11 +0000
> spiky <martynvid...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I have built lfs7 with linux 3.1rc4. I cant boot it when on sdc. If
> > drive is put in laptop on IDE it will boot. I have set the fstab &
> > grub.cfg in lots of different ways still no joy,
> > grub.cfg
> >
> > # Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> > set default=0
> > set timeout=5
> >
> > insmod ext2
> > set root=(hd2,1)
> >
> > menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.1-lfs-7.0" {
> >          linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.1-lfs-7.0 root=/dev/sdc1
> > }
> >
> > fstab
> > # Begin /etc/fstab
> >
> > # file system  mount-point  type   options         dump  fsck
> > #                                                        order
> >
> > /dev/sdc1      /            ext4   defaults        1     1
> > /dev/sdc2      swap         swap   pri=1           0     0
> > proc           /proc        proc   defaults        0     0
> > sysfs          /sys         sysfs  defaults        0     0
> > devpts         /dev/pts     devpts gid=4,mode=620  0     0
> > tmpfs          /run         tmpfs  defaults        0     0
> > # End /etc/fstab
> >
> > I would like it to boot off it,s own drive selected by bios (bios dose
> > allow booting from usb)
>
> At what point in the boot process does the boot fail (BIOS, grub or
> kernel)? What sort of error messages do you get when the boot fails?
> Give us a clue, what actually happens?
> FWIW fstab is irrelevent for a boot failing. The kernel gets its root
> partition from the grub command line in grub.cfg and mounts that read
> only. /etc/fstab comes into play later when the bootscripts do their
> work.
>
> Andy
Ok I used grub prompt it showed the usb drive
hd0,msdos1(LFS-7.0),2(swap),3(home).
then entered set root=(hd0,msdos)
linux /boot/vmlinux-3.1-7.0 (it found with tab)root=/devsda1
boot
i get
"no filesystem could mount root tried ext 3 ,2, 4 etc
also Kernel panic not syncing VFS unable to mount root fson unknown
block (8.1).
This is the same as I get when I let it boot as normal for this drive.

  Martyn