Today I began my second approach to LFS: I'm trying to build a pure 64
bit OS based on the kernel 3.1.4.
The first approach (sufficiently smooth and fully successful) was from
and for a 32 bit OS.
The version of the book being used is 7.0. The host distribution is
Ubuntu version 64 bit 11.10 (it was necessary to complementary install
bison, gawk and texinfo). The output from the Section “Host System
Requirements” presented the well known error "/lib/libc.so.6: no such
file or directory". This happens - I think - since in my Ubuntu the
"libc.so.6" is not directly positioned under /lib, but under its
subdirectory /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu, so as libc-2.13.so.
I was able to correct the error in two ways: (i) simply copying the
"libc.so.6" into "/lib"; (2) creating, as suggested by a recent
lfs-support message (20/1/2011), a symlink "ln -s
/lib/x86_64-linux/gnu/libc-2.13.so /lib/libc.so.6".
First: I don't understand the relationship between this two libraries;
Second: are the two ways equivalent as regards my future buildings?
Many thanks for a kind answer.

giocitta