My thanks to Firerat and DJ Lucas.  I am well on my way -- I have
successfully built gingerbread-release and run it in a target!

DJ> IMO, the biggest pain of building android is learning to use the repo
DJ> script instead of git by itself.

Yes, that is the thing I'm still a bit fuzzy on.  How do I check out a
different version after fetching all those zillions of git
repositories?  I specified "gingerbread-release" on the "repo init"
and that seems to have worked, but what if I want to try a different
version?

Anyhow, it's not a serious issue for me but I'd like to know.

DJ> I'm sure you've found this one already, at least I hope you have:
DJ> http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

Oh, yes, I have been there.

Thanks much for the other links.  I knew if I asked here on LFS I'd
find helpful folks.