On Sun, 13 May 2012 06:58:57 +0100
Wayne Blaszczyk <wblas...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I've recently updated my main workstation to LFS 7.1 (From LFS 6.7), and
> noticed one of my auto build scripts is now failing.
> I've tracked it down to the following command.
> mount -vt tmpfs shm $LFS/dev/shm
> It seems to me that this command is mounting onto /run/shm rather than
> /mnt/lfs/dev/shm due to /mnt/lfs/dev/shm being a symlink to /run/shm.

Why is /mnt/lfs/dev/shm a symlink to /run/shm? The instructions for
mounting the virtual filesystems are:
mkdir -v $LFS/{dev,proc,sys}
mknod -m 600 $LFS/dev/console c 5 1
mknod -m 666 $LFS/dev/null c 1 3
mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev
mount -vt devpts devpts $LFS/dev/pts
mount -vt tmpfs shm $LFS/dev/shm
mount -vt proc proc $LFS/proc
mount -vt sysfs sysfs $LFS/sys
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/development/chapter06/kernfs.html

> Further more, when entering chroot environment, /dev/shm is now pointing
> to a no existent /run/shm.
> Am I'm doing something wrong or is this a bug?

You're doing something weird. My guess is the
mount -v --bind /dev $LFS/dev step. It's mounting the /dev from your
host system on /mnt/lfs/dev. If /dev/shm on your host system is a
symlink pointing at /run/shm then that's what it will look like
in /mnt/lfs/dev too.

Andy