On Fri, 18 May 2012 14:44:00 +0100
xinglp <xin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In order to use "power button" to shutdown or suspend my lfs.
> I enabled the depreciate  /proc/acpi/event in kernel,
> and install acpid to handle the button event.
> It works well.
>
> But is there any clear way to do that, such as by inittab or udev
> or kernel callout userspace script ( /proc/sys/kernel/poweroff_cmd has
> somethings )
>
> I've looked into blfs, there's a lot more packages need to be
> installed to enable this.(I'm not a X user,for now.)

I don't know of any other way of handling the power button event at
init 3. I used to install acpid, like you, for this reason but I
stopped as I hardly spend any time at the command prompt nowadays. So
what I do now is alter /etc/inittab so that it handles ctrl alt del by
shutting down instead of rebooting:

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/halt

When X is running I have my window manager (Openbox) handle pressing
the power button (xev says it is XF86PowerOff) by running a script
which (after it's tidied up a few things) calls /sbin/halt.

Andy