On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Ken Moffat <zarniwh...@ntlworld.com>wrote:

> ext3 should be ok for /boot.  fsck will be run on *all* the
> filesystems in fstab which are automounted and in need of an fsck.

Understood. Thanks.

>  Thanks, I didn't know that file could do that!

No worries. I didn't know that file could be that either, until I stumbled
upon it the other day myself while looking for way to get UUIDs for
devices.

>  Why not just use /dev/sda5 /boot ext3 ... and similarly for the
> others ?  I suppose that UUID will work once udev is running.  For
> the rootfs, the kernel will try to use whatever root= you passed on
> the commandline from grub : here UUID will NOT work (we don't use an
> initrd) - and what is shown in /etc/fstab for '/' is at best
> documentation.

While reading the man page for fstab(5), I got the impression that using
UUIDs was the preferred method of defining devices. Based on your advice,
I'll use the /dev/sdaN notation instead.

>  I also think that /usr/src and /opt are wastes of filesystems :

This is my first time building LFS, so I followed the disk partitioning
suggestions found here,
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter02/creatingpartition.html.
For the sake of not having to go back to re-partitioning my hard drive and
rebuilding the user land utilities, I'll get on with the book using the
current disk layout. I would consider using a different layout in future.

> Thanks.

Alexander.