Em 01-07-2012 15:32, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 01:16:00PM +0530, Emerson Yesupatham wrote:

[...]

> If you are never going to boot a kernel older than
> 2.6.35, specifying 2.6.35 should be fine.
>
>  For my own desktop builds (several each year, using LFS-svn) I
> reduce the cruft by using the current kernel and (typically) I
> enable that version

Ken, does this mean you use, e.g.,

--enable-kernel=3.4.4?

- the actual details of what has changed are in
> glibc's sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/kernel-features.h.  OTOH, for recent
> kernels there is not a lot of change in the features and modern
> disks and physical memory are usually big.
>
>  I *have* been caught out in the last year - moved my existing
> desktops to new machines, so I had to build new kernels : I used
> SystemRescueCD to chroot and do that, but the version I was
> using was compiled for linux-3.0, so my binaries for 3.2 weren't
> usable.  I had to install an older LFS system to get it to chroot.

So, SRCD had linux-3.0 but your system was built with

    --enable-kernel=3.2?

>  After that, of course, I could boot to the older system, chroot to
> the current system. build a kernel for that, and then boot the
> current system and use that to build a fresh one.  It's always good
> to know what the upgrade / rescue path is :)

You know, I recently cloned a VM LFS system to another hardware, so
these questions interest me very much, particularly, I agree very much
with your last sentence about "rescue path".

--
[]s,
Fernando