 From: Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>
To: Robert Cox <tw3akur...@yahoo.com>; LFS Support List
<lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 9, 2012 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [lfs-support] prerequisites

Robert Cox wrote:

> I'm a bit stuck... menuconfig.. and the file .config  coping over my
> distro's config file to .config in the build directory then loading
> it to menuconfig making additional changes to customize the
> configuration?, the question is does menuconfig "append" each time I
> run it like with make localmodconfig? would I just be better off
> using gedit or vi to hand edit this file?

No, don't hand edit.

What I do is as the book states:

make menuconfig
make
make modules_install
cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-<current-ver>
cp .config /boot/config-<current-ver>
cp System.map /boot/System.map-<current-ver>

You are not overwriting the distro's config, you are copying your custom
config to a new file name in /boot.  Change <current-ver> to make it a
unique string.

Don't use your distro's .config.  They build virtually all possible
modules as modules.  That means you need an initrd for simple things
like ext3 partitions, the build takes muck longer, and it is huge.

Read the hint referenced in the book about how to configure the kernel.

   -- Bruce