From: "Alan Feuerbacher" <afeuerbac...@allegromicro.com>
To: "LFS Support List" <lfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2012 1:11:04 PM
Subject: Re: [lfs-support] What Is "The" LFS Partition?

Thank you all very much for your advice!

Here's what I propose to do now, given your inputs:

Don't put LFS on the SSD -- use a regular hard drive.

Set up the partitions like this, using an ext4 filesystem:

/dev/sda1 /boot 100M
/dev/sda2 Extended Linux partition ~100G
/dev/sda5 Linux swap 2G
/dev/sda6 / ~98G

Use mke2fs -t ext4 to create filesystems on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda6.

I should NOT use mke2fs to create filesystems on /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda5. I
don't fully understand why not, though. Can someone explain?

Under the above scheme, the extended linux partition CONTAINS the swap and /
logical partitions, so it seems reasonable that you would not use mke2fs both
on it, and on the partitions it contains, right? On the other hand, why would
swap not be considered a filesystem? And why would you not make a filesystem on
sda2, thereby (in my naive brain, anyway) not having to make a filesystem on
sda6? Further, why would you not make the whole drive -- /dev/sda -- one
filesystem?

Another thing is that there seem to be several notions of a filesystem. From
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-filesystem/ I get this
general definition:

<< What is a file system?

I'll start with an answer to the most basic question, the definition of a file
system. A file system is an organization of data and metadata on a storage
device.

The man page for mke2fs talks about making filesystems in disk partitions. So a
filesystem in the general sense can contain one or more filesystems in the
mke2fs sense, and it's not always clear to me (again, a newbie to this stuff)
which one is being talked about. I suppose experience will take care of that.

There were good and interesting answers from various people, and I'll comment
further after I go home and try again.

Alan