On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:56:25AM -0800, Li, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to start building LFS. I have a x86_64 AMD machine. From what I
> read in the book, it seems 32 bit environment is preferred.  So I want to
> confirm with the list that the followings are OK to start with.
>

> 1.       Install a 32 bit Fedora 16 as the build environment
>
> 2.       Leave enough unpartitioned space (100G) on the disk besides the FC16
> install.

 The only reasons to use 32-bit are a lack of memory, or if you need
to run 32-bit binaries.  I have an amd64 which has been wholly
64-bit for some years, but it only has 1GB of memory and that is no
longer comfortable for compiling recent firefox with recent gcc :
everything keeps getting bigger and using more memory, so the box
often swaps when compiling.

 Personally, I suggest that you _consider_ the following partitions:

(i) enough for fedora - no idea how much is "enough", but I would
hope 10GB is plenty - best to check that first!  It's certainly
enough for LFS+BLFS.  Also /boot if you intend to stay with LFS, and
swap [ e.g. for s2disk even if you have enough RAM ].
(ii). a couple more partitions of the same 10GB size - this will
allow you to build LFS+BLFS in one of them, for the other you can
either build your *next* LFS there, or install a different distro.
(iii.) Use whatever is left for /home, and share the user(s) and
groups between fedora and LFS.

 Of course, if all you intend to do is build LFS once for the
experience, then my partitioning suggestion won't be useful.

 Really, there is very little difference between i686 and x86_64
for LFS : x86_64 has more registers, so gcc tends to produce better
code (more variables in registers), but with bigger pointers.  For
the LFS book, the differences with current software are minimal.
For BLFS, almost everything in current use works with either
architecture.

ĸen