On 18/12/12 01:24, Alexander Spitzer wrote:
Hello all,

I am having a hard time booting my LFS system, which is on a USB drive. I installed grub on /dev/sdc (the usb relative to the host) and the bios successfully finds GRUB. After around 2.3 seconds, the boot process hangs after printing what I believe to be a trace call. Interestingly, one time when I booted the trace call was short enough for me to write down the error which I can't normally see due to the length of the trace prints. Here is the error:

Kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(0,0)

What exactly does "unknown block(0,0)" mean?

The problem appears to be that the kernel can't find the root file system. How can that be a problem, if the kernel, which is ON the root file system, was found and ran?
Here is the grub.cfg file:
# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5

insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,1)

menuentry "GNU/Linux, Linux 3.7-lfs-SVN-20121212" {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.7-lfs-SVN-20121212 root=/dev/sda1 ro
}

I believe the USB is always sda because to boot I do a manual boot override and select USB from the BIOS menu. The grub command line also confirms this.

Searching online, there were some suggestions that the kernel was compiled without support for necessary file systems and hardware. I check my config file for the kernel and found all the important options to be set to yes (USB_mass_storage, ext3 filesystem, USB UHCI, USB OHCI, and several scsi ones). There are however many USB options that are not set. Are there any specific ones that should be set for the kernel to load the root filesystem?

Also, I've tried unsuccessfully to read more of the boot output by two methods: increasing the resolution and scrolling back. The scroll back buffer is set to yes in the kernel config yet shift page down and shift page up do nothing. Also, vga=791 is deprecated and I haven't been able to get any effect by using "set vgxpayload=1024x728".
How can I read the boot print outputs without a high speed camera?

Thanks,
Alex

Hi
This is my grub.cfg which is on usb drive that works

# Begin /boot/grub/grub.cfg
set default=0
set timeout=5

insmod ext2
set root=(hd0,1)

menuentry "Planet-Spike7" {
        linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.2-lfs-7.0 root=/dev/sdc1 rootdelay=5 ro
}

the rootdelay seems to be the cure tou might want to try 10 instaed of 5 then adjust it.
It takes time for the usb to recognised