Dan McGhee wrote:
> GRUB is the next package in Ch. 6 that I will be building.  I'm going to
> have to deviate from the book to do this since I have a GPT hard drive
> and want to maintain it "as is."  This means installing GRUB with EFI
> enabled.

NO, it doesn't.  EFI is the replacement for the BIOS, not the partition
table type.  EFI required GPT, but GPT can be used in a BIOS based system.

  From looking at <./configure --help> in the GRUB source tree,
> I think that this is the only change I need to do in the book's
> configure options; i.e., "enable-efiemu."  Is this correct or do I need
> any other options.

> That was my basic question and the purpose of this post.  However, in
> thinking about GRUB, I thought forward to making the new system bootable.
>
> I have an HP ENVY m6 Sleekbook which came, obviously, with secure boot
> enabled and Windows 8.  If at all possible, I'd like to make it work, on
> boot, as designed.  This took me to grub-install. The options
> "--bootloader-id, --efi-directory and --uefi-secure-boot" got my
> attention.  I know how to handle the "--efi-directory." Using parted, I
> found it.  I don't know how to use "--bootloader-id" or even if it's
> necessary. If it is necessary, how do I find the id of any bootoader.  I
> know that my laptop now has three boot managers: HP, WINDOWS and GRUB.
> How do I find their numbers? (This may be semantics, but is GRUB a boot
> manager?)

How do you boot to Linux now?  If you are using GRUB, I recommend just
editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg and adding a new menuentry.  Get it to boot
with what you have before changing the boot loader.

> Anyway, GRUB is my current default boot loader.  Ubuntu is supposed to
> work "out of the box" in the UEFI environment, but it was not true in my
> case.  I had to get a package, at Ubuntu, called "boot fix" to get my
> boot process to the point at which I no longer needed to go into the
> boot manager menu at startup.  The problem is that I couldn't (can't)
> find any log that tells me what this application did.  But GRUB now is
> my default loader.
>
> This leads me to my final point and question.  The warning in Section
> 8.4 says of grub-install, "Do not run this command if not desired..."
> Since my laptop boots into a GRUB menu, can I just copy the appropriate
> files to a directory on the efi boot partition?  (I could do this from a
> terminal in ubuntu since I don't think that the chroot environment has
> the tools to translate ext4 to FAT32 yet.) And after copying, generate
> my grub config file.
>
> When all this is successful, I could write the procedure up and post
> it.  Then, if anyone wanted to, it could be put in the book somewhere.
> I could also write a hint if that were more practical.

For now, just let us know your results.

   -- Bruce