On 11/10/2013 09:22 AM, Dan McGhee wrote:
> [...]
> thing.  I must do it manually by interrupting the boot process and
> selecting grubx64.efi.  I want the Boot Manager to default to this, but
> that's the project after I can boot LFS-7.4, Ubuntu and Windows 8 from
> my grub screen.  I cannot boot either LFS-7.4 or Ubuntu from my
> grubx64.efi.
>
> Thinking of what Ken said about my LFS kernel not being bootable, I
> added a menuentry for Ubuntu whose kernel I know boots.  The same thing
> happens when I try to boot LFS or Ubuntu--the screen goes blank and I
> get a white, non-flashing dash in the upper left hand corner of my
> screen.  I now have a situation I that can be solved "practically"
> rather than experimenting with theory--a good change. I think my
> grub.cfg needs massaging.  Here is that file in all of its radiant beauty:
>
>> set gfxmode=auto
>> insmod all_video
>> insmod gfxterm
>> set lang=en_US
>>
>> set timeout=10
>>
>> menuentry 'LFS-7.4' {
>> insmod part_gpt
>> insmod ext2
>> set root=(hd0,gpt6)
>> linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.10.10-lfs-7.4 root=/dev/sda6 ro
>> }
>>
>> menuentry 'Ubuntu' {
>> insmod part_gpt
>> insmod ext2
>> set root=(hd0,gpt10)
>>   linux   /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-33-generic root=/dev/sda10 ro
>> initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-33-generic
>> }
>>
>> menuentry "Windows 8" {
>> set root=D60C-39DF
>> chainloader (${root})/EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi
>> }
> Before I quit last night, I had only the menuentry for LFS in the file
> and when I tried to boot, I got the message "No suitable video mode
> found."  This morning I read, and copied and plagiarized and came up
> with the entries at the top of the file.  I don't know if I have good
> ones, or enough or the right ones.  What I do know is that in addition
> to the inability to boot LFS7.4, I cannot boot Ubuntu--which I know
> boots--using this grub.cfg.  (BTW, I did not test Windows from this file.)
>
> As a highlight (?) to this post let me add something.  As I was writing
> this and looked at the entry for Windows 8, I thought that I could get
> Ubuntu to boot, by directing grub to Ubuntu's *x64.efi file.  If that's
> true, then I would be using GRUB as a Boot Manager in EFI and not a
> bootloader--although each grub.cfg would have that's distro's root,
> kernel and image files.  This bears further research.
>
> But for right now, I'd like to get both LFS and Ubuntu to boot from this
> grub.cfg using "linux" and "initrd" lines--like in the "old" :) days.
>
> Hopefully, I can get a good analysis and fix from the folks here on this
> list.  I could do the "video stuff" before grub evolved to the state it
> is today.  Now, I'm in the dark--and not because it's night.  :)

Using the article that Ken found at Arch-Wiki I learned that video had
to be initialized in efi. I changed the first part of grub.cfg to

> insmod efi_gop
> insmod efi_uga
>
> insmod font
>
> if loadfont ${prefix}/fonts/unicode.pf2
> then
> insmod gfxterm
> set gfxmode=auto
> set gfxpayload=keep
> terminal_output gfxterm
> fi

That changed the results to a new blank screen. Although slight, it's
still more progress. But I have exhausted my knowledge and my googling
isn't revealing anything new. I'm stymied. I'd like to get some
suggestion as to where to go from here.

Thanks,
Dan