On 11/22/2013 10:23 AM, Douglas R. Reno wrote:

Dan,

If I were able to export the contents of dmesg to a file, could I use grep to sift through it faster?

First of all, let me gently remind you about top posting on this list. Please don't do it.

Dmesg is nothing more than the kernel log. It already exists in a file. Dmesg is only, I think, for the current boot and it updates at each kernel event. If it's easier for you to go to a file, then go ahead. The slowness is a function of your ability to read, recognize and comprehend. So whatever helps you the most.
Dan