Yeah, I apologize for the typos there. I called in sick today and am a bit
out of it. :t

Anyway, as for those sanity checks:

$ ls -laF /tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 5204187 Jan 17 18:29
/tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib*

$ /tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib
gives the usage message

$ x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib
without path components still gives the usage message

$ whereis x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib
x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib:

so I guess whereis doesn't find it...

$ which x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib
/tools/bin/x86_64-lfs-linux-gnu-ranlib

but which seems to.

I find it baffling. I can't understand why the install script for libstdc++
doesn't find that program. I *hope* I'm just making a simple typo
somewhere, but I'm checking pretty darn closely and can't find one yet.
Plus if I am making an error, I've made the same one several times in a row
without being able to catch it.

I'm wondering if something on my host system is too new of a version or
something.