On 8/21/2014 12:27 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
On 8/20/2014 9:48 PM, Armin K. wrote:
On 21.8.2014 1:49, Alan Feuerbacher wrote:
Howdy,

Last I had posted here, and to the BLFS list, was that I had
successfully installed an LFS system and a boatload of BLFS stuff. Been
using it with good success -- no surprise.

Last I looked, you LFS guys kind of frowned on using systemd, but the
few things I've read on the newest help pages indicates that at least
some people have been trying to install LFS using systemd.

What is the status of systemd and LFS at this time?

We have a systemd based LFS book, currently 7.5 stable with systemd-208
release and a development version with systemd-216 release.

Ok, so the development version uses systemd. I take it that all earlier
reservations have been resolved to the satisfaction of the LFS staff?

No.  There are two branches.  One system V and one systemd.

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/read.html

BLFS has
also got systemd counterpart recently, but that one strictly follows the
development book.

Could you please expand on that?

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/read.html

As for getting a UEFI bootloader working, I researched the matter
extensively online late last fall, without any real resolution. I
concluded that a lot of UEFI stuff was being kept secret by various
players, from Fedora to ASUS to pretty much everyone else who had
actually got UEFI bootloaders to work. I know that some companies such
as Fedora have agreements with BIOS makers to do stuff that the average
hacker like me can't do. At least, not easily. I don't remember finding
a specific reason for the secrecy. I finally decided that it was due to
a combination of key players really not knowing what they're doing in
terms of the UEFI "standard", along with a reluctance to admit that to
their customers.

Well you could just disable UEFI.  That's what I did.  The only OS that
really needs it is Windows.

   -- Bruce

Thanks!

It's almost sounding like UEFI is a big nothing, except for Windows. No?

Alan