On 11/30/2014 10:14 PM, Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Saturday 29 November 2014 21:21:50 Paul Rogers wrote:
>
>> > I'm inclined to give up on systemd ( I don't want, like or need more
>
>> > complexity)
>
> is systemd really more complex ?

Yes, it is way more complex, as it is doing way more. A lot of people
think it is doing way too much for an init daemon. It also has
dependencies like dbus to build and run, which makes it even more
complex. also from a purely LFS build view, as it adds some more
packages to the book.

> I just finisched building my BLFS-Systemd and it is working like a
> charm. It was, sure, a little different to build. But more complex ?
>
> It is faster, in my opinion. I agree, this does not need to be an
> argument. One question is, is it worth to be defined as the new system
> on LFS ? if yes, what are the arguments ? Or is it just an alternative ?

I very much hope it is not. It should be an alternative. I think it will
disappear again anyway in a few years time, being replaced by something
sane.

I also don't care about 3 seconds less bootup time, this is only a
strawman argument for systemd anyway. And if you imply that your system
generally runs faster with systemd, well, that's just plain silly, isn't it?

> I personally dont understand why "systemd flame wars" happened.

One reason is the totally arrogant nature of a lot of systemd developers
towards Unix traditions. Unix traditions like portability and
interchangeability, which systemd actively undermines.

--
decentral.ch - IT Stuff
Tim Tassonis

st...@decentral.ch