Em 04-02-2016 19:09, Ken Moffat escreveu:

> This time, I would like to be able to use distros (different from
> what other people are using to test) to build release candidates.
>
> Ideally, I want to be able to install/replace these in the future,
> telling them to only use their own partition, and then I can
> chainload them from grub.  Among other things, it has been suggested
> that the distro controlling /boot (LFS) needs to be installed first.

Not really. You can chroot to the one you want and install its grub.

> But at the moment I'm using the spinning-rust drive as a test run,
> before I install a smaller SDD, and since I had no bootloader I
> could let the first distro install one.

> First up was mint - this went to the partition I pointed it to, and
> installed grub on the disk.  I did not see any option for not
> installing the bootloader.  But I know that other people are testing
> with 'buntu-derived distros, so I'll probably let this distro go.

> Then I tried to install OpenSuSe Leap

> After that I tried Fedora 23

> I'm beginning to think I might just put distros on the traditional
> HD, if necessary erasing it each time, and only install one at a
> time - but that seems a bit of a waste.
>
> After I had made sure I could set up Mint as-needed, and then
> Fedora, I went back to using SystemRescueCD and installed the LFS
> binary.
>
> Now I've got 7.8 installed and mostly working (audio not yet tested),
> so I will be able to copy that (or a new build) to the SSD when I'm
> clearer about exactly how I'm going to procede.  So at least some of
> this is going ok.
>
> Yes, I did get the usual "I didn't expect that" items, e.g 'make'
> segfaulting when chrooted from SystemRescueCD - fortunately I already
> had the right ethernet driver as a module in the binary I had copied
> and I had installed LFS's grub from chroot : 'make' is fine
> after booting.  Fun, ain't it.
>
> Sorry (but only a little) for rambling

When I used just one HD, you know I used to modify
/etc/grub.d/40_custom, so that the non-LFS grub was used, and 40_custom
included the lines I would put in an LFS only system. Described in some
old posts. Needs to make backups, so I could compare, delete lines from
grub.cfg and move those of LFS to the point I wanted.

Now, I have a more convenient setup with two HD's (second is in the box,
but could also be USB).

What I do is to change the order for boot: sdb has Mint and grub from
Mint, whereas sda has LFS and LFS grub.

I needed because all I had was i686 and I wanted to build LFS x86_64,
Then installed Mint x_86_64.

At post, if I need, I change the order of boot, and so, get the one I want.

--
[]s,
Fernando, aka Sísifo