On 01/30/2017 10:11 PM, Chris Statzer wrote:

On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 7:17 PM, ssmtpmailtesting ssmtpmailtesting
<ssmtpmailtest...@gmail.com <mailto:ssmtpmailtest...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Is it possible to use gentoo stage3 as tools or temporary system?

http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/20170124/stage3-i686-20170124.tar.bz2

<http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/x86/autobuilds/20170124/stage3-i686-20170124.tar.bz2>

    Then is it possible to skip chapter 5 to make tools or toolchain or
    temporary system?

It is possible, and exactly what I did after my first run though LFS.
Extract it to the root. Chroot to it. Install grub, bc. and compile the
kernel. Reboot. You already have wget etc etc. I built Xorg etc
following BLFS and worked flawlessly. Would be happy to answer any other
questions.

Of course it is possible. It might also be possible to use an existing debian or redhat install as temporary toolchain.

It just undermines the whole point of Linux From Scratch. The "from scratch" actually means that you build the whole systen from scratch. Like this, you fail to do that. You will compile at least:

Glibc-2.24
Zlib-1.2.8
File-5.28
Binutils-2.27
GMP-6.1.1
MPFR-3.1.4
MPC-1.0.3

with the gentoo compiler and not the one that you built yourself.

Chris

--
decentral.ch - IT Stuff
Tim Tassonis