On Friday, January 5, 2018, Jorge Almeida <jjalme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just found out about stow. It just seems too good to be true. So:
> did I misunderstood something? Any gotchas that are not obvious?
> For example, would it be reasonable to install binutils+gcc+glibc the
> usual way (in Ch. 6) and then all the rest via stow?
> Any corner cases that stow cannot deal with adequately? Would it build
> an enormous forest of symlinks? (That is, would it require too much
> space? I know disks are huge, but still...)
>
> In case someone has experience with stow, past or current, I would
> like to know your impressions before investing time on stow.
>
> I have used xstow on my Debian box since 2010. (Despite the "x", it is not
a GUI application.) I have been pleased with it.  My pattern is ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/stow/foo-1.0.0; make install, and then I xstow the
package.

You'll want to look at and edit the xstow.ini file. In particular, you'll
likely want to add directories to the list of dirs to never remove --
perhaps your entire existing /usr/local tree (assuming you use
/usr/local/stow). When you are ready to make install something, check that
every directory needed under /usr/local exists first. Make any new dirs,
make install, then run xstow. Example: if foo(6) creates a man6/foo.6 file,
be sure the /usr/local/share/man/man6 directory exists before you run
xstow. Once I paid attention to those details I have never had a problem
with xstow.

Xstow indeed makes symbolic links. Every file in and
below /usr/local/stow/foo-1.0.0 will get a symlink in its corresponding
place under /usr/local. They are removed when you uninstall a package.
Foo's directory will be left intact so you can re-stow or delete as
desired.

Give it a try. Find a source tarball that's small and doesn't create a lot
of files. Then install and uninstall the package with your file manager
running and see how it works.

--
「女のこが天使じゃない
魔物が半分FIFTY」