Hallo,

during winter vacation I had some fun building LFS again; I wanted to
dive into UEFI systems.

I installed Fedora 27 on a machine with an old-ish i5-3350, 16 GB RAM
and 256 GB SSD.

Fedora 27 comes with gcc 7.2, and this combination cannot build LFS 8.0
without changes. This information is obviously outdated because LFS 8.1
is out ;), but FYI here's why:

gcc 7.2 is strictly conforming to the new ISO C/C++ standards and comes
with some new constraints, both for syntax and semantics of source code.
For some integer types you need to include the new <stdint.h>, and
additionally it will choke on some code that previously was accepted.
You cannot compile the LFS 8.0-included gcc 6.3.0, there's a change to
ubsan.c required (if you still want to build 8.0 for some reason).

src/gcc-6.3.0/gcc/ubsan.c:
1474:23: error: ISO C++ forbids comparison between pointer and integer
[-fpermissive]

fix is simple:
- || xloc.file == '0' || xloc.file[0] == 'xff'
+ || xloc.file[0] == '0' || xloc.file[0] == 'xff'

Tschau...Thomas
--
"Do you wanna be a legend or a passing footprint on the sands of time?"