Somebody on phoronix commented that on his Xeon ffmpeg was severely
slowed down by the cumulative fixes.  I earlier reported the results
from a quick and pointless test, which showed that on my machine the
base position was *slower* than with new firmware and PTI fixes.

Then I remembered that I've got scripts, and notes of 'cut' details,
that I used when preparing some videos.  So here is a short test that
uses a little of that to edit a video - and I ran it 10 times to try
to judge how variable the numbers are.  When ffmpeg is running it
tends to use all cores for the main parts, other script code and sox
probably only use one core.

And yes, this is my Haswell, so presumably that is the "provokes
reboot" firmware - so far, it seems ok to me (up for more than 24
hours twice, no problems in shorter uptimes - I've had to reboot to
run these tests).

Before each run, drop the caches.

0. Convert a video clip from mov to mkv

Run ffmpeg to convert to mp4 using x264 and aac with possible video
fades in and out, create a wav file from the mov file, use sox to
fade the audio in/out and/or reduce the volume, run ffmpeg to create
an mkv with the video from the mp4 and the audio from the second wav
file.

1. Repeat for a different clip.

2. Use a png to create an 'end' label - use ffmpeg to convert it to
mp4 with video fade, use sox to create a silent wav, use ffmpeg to
merge them.

3. Use ffmpeg to merge all 3 files (including re-encoding to a lower
quality).

After each run I remove all the output.  All times are in seconds.

The standard deviation is from
http://www.calculator.net/standard-deviation-calculator.html

variant 0 : nopti, older microcode

0.000   57.561
0.001   57.683
0.002   57.877
0.003   57.446
0.004   57.544
0.005   59.494
0.006   59.907
0.007   58.315
0.008   59.390
0.009   57.947

mean    58.3164
variation +2.7% -1.3%
stddev  0.92645803406786

variant 1 : PTI, current microcode

1.000   58.577
1.001   57.512
1.002   57.676
1.003   60.838
1.004   58.174
1.005   58.062
1.006   57.920
1.007   57.892
1.008   57.525
1.009   59.266

mean    58.3442
variation +4.3% -1.4%
change over base +0.047%
stddev  1.0233996504027

variant 2 : initial retpoline, PTI, current microcode

2.000   57.990
2.001   58.015
2.002   62.104
2.003   57.888
2.004   57.994
2.005   57.929
2.006   58.062
2.007   58.227
2.008   59.387
2.009   58.234

mean    58.583
variation +6.0% -1.2%
change over base +0.45%
change over PTI  +0.409%
stddev 1.3121555632707

For me, these are figures I can live with.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.