On Tue, Jan 23, 2018, at 10:38 AM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Paul Rogers wrote:
> > "SUSE's Richard Biener is making preparations for officially releasing GCC
> > 7.3.0 on Thursday, 25 January.
> >
> > GCC 7.3 is the point release to GCC 7 that's quickly being prepared to ship
> > the Spectre patches."
> > https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GCC-7.3-Thursday
> >
> > Anybody know of fixes backported to gcc-6?
>
> No, I don't know that, but please be aware that we are also due new
> binutils on the same day and a new glibc on Feb 1st.

I'm not ready to upgrade to LFS-8.x yet, so I want to keep this 7.10 usable for
the time being.  It uses gcc-6.2.  I've gotten kernel patch-4.9.77 which has
retpoline support.  The Help for the option implies it's worth installing even
without compiler support, but I'd rather have it.  One option is upgrading just
gcc-7.3 this week, but I'd have fewer uncertainties staying with the gcc-6
series if it has the patches.

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm