On 8 March 2018 at 17:15, Hazel Russman <hazeldeb...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 10:11:23 -0600
> Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >Ken Moffat wrote:
> > > I admire your optimism that you will be able to build (what I assume
> > > is) a desktop system without python2.
> >
> > Hazel,
> >
> > python is mentioned in 176 files in BLFS, but only 42 of those are
> > python3.   In any reasonable workstation system, both versions will be
> > needed.  If you are creating a server of some type (file, web, database,
> > mail, etc) you might be able to avoid python2.
> >
> >    -- Bruce
> I'll have to install it then, as a graphical desktop is essential. But two
> pythons still looks to me like bloat. In all my previous builds, I've been
> able to avoid python3 altogether. On the other hand, I must say I'm
> impressed with ninja. I built glib yesterday and it took only a fraction of
> the time it used to take using make.

Hazel, a little late in replying, I know, but I agree, it is annoying to
have to install two versions of Python.  Of course, the Python Community
would say that there is only one version of Python now and that is Python 3.

This reminds me of the IPv4/IPv6 issue; IPv6, like Python 3, has been
around for some considerable time, and yet we are still wedded to IPv4.
The problem is that, although new and improved versions of software, or
protocols, are released, it is not possible to force everybody to use
them.  Maybe laziness plays a part, or familiarity with the old, or just
simple economics.

Richard