I was hoping Intel was as good as its word, as I use Core-2 systems daily for
internet access, still rely on 1st Gen i7s, and as a retired person cannot
afford to "keep-up", but according to PCWorld, "The chipmaker’s latest
microcode revision update now says planned revisions are “stopped” for CPUs
based on the Penryn (2007), Yorkfield (2007), Wolfdale (2007), Bloomfield
(2008), Clarksfield (2009), Jasper Forest (2010), and Atom “SoFIA” (2015),  ...
This puts the final nail in the coffin for the Core 2 series of chips, where
Intel’s first quad-core processors debuted. Some first-gen Core CPUs also get
the axe, including the Intel Core i7-970, 980, 980X, and 990X."

--
Paul Rogers
paulgrog...@fastmail.fm